Glacier Travel

Glacier Travel

Sunday, July 17, 2011

removing crutches, oil for my lamp



I was at morning prayer a couple Fridays ago at the SROM building. Because of my struggle with headaches, my SROM family was praying over me for healing. Just as the Bible says, I was anointed with oil and the elders prayed for a healing miracle. During this prayer time a fellow instructor, Jay Johnson, received a word from God. He looked at me and said, “Emily, you are enough, and God has had you in a time where he has been removing the crutches that hold you up. Those things that you cling to and hold you up are gone, but He will bring you out of this time”.  This past semester I experienced exactly what he had just spoken. I felt so many things in my life that could hold me up (straight A’s, friends, position as a worship leader, even my health) had been taken away. How did Jay know? Only by the revelation of the Lord.

So the removal of crutches continues… We are in the middle of the summer frenzy. Almost all of our instructors are out on course, which means ALL the girl instructors are gone. When I come back to town from course I have had no female companionship. For a few weeks I have been feeling this lack of community, lack of fellowship and have been not so happy with the Lord about it. BUT I finally realized it was just part of the Lord’s plan of removing crutches in order to capture my full attention.

If you have read Matt 25: 1-13 you know the parable of the 10 virgins. If you have not read it, I recommend you take out your Bibles and read it now. In this parable, there are 10 virgins carrying lamps, and they go out to meet with Jesus (because he is returning!!). Of the 10 virgins, 5 are ready for his coming (the wise virgins) and 5 are not (the foolish virgins). The wise virgins brought oil in order to keep their lamps burning while the foolish ones did not bring extra oil. Upon the return of Jesus at midnight, the darkest hour, the virgins rise and trim (prepare) their lamps. The 5 foolish virgins ask the wise virgins for more oil. The 5 wise virgins cannot give away their oil, for there is just enough for their own lamps. The foolish ones have to go away to buy more oil. During this time Jesus comes for His bride. The wise virgins, by the light of their lamps, are brought into the wedding feast and the foolish are shut out. The foolish ones try to beg their way into the wedding feast, but Jesus says He does not know them.  Now, a little extra info for a deeper understanding of this parable: 1. This type of lamp used by the virgins denotes a “torch” that needed to be fed FREQUENTLY with oil in order to keep burning and producing light. 2. The Oil is a symbol of the Holy Spirit.

Through this parable the Lord opened by eyes. I cannot be one who depends on anyone or anything else for my oil (Holy Spirit, that which keeps me fed and prepared for the coming of the Lord). I cannot use another’s oil. I must have oil of my own, enough to replenish my lamp while I wait for my King to return. So the question I ask you and myself is, “When all the props go away, when our crutches (what we lean on spiritually and depend on for our filling – pastors, friends, community, church, etc-) are gone, what is left? Where is my heart? Where is your heart? Are we getting filled by the Lord, Holy Spirit, His presence and the word alone? Or are we asking to use someone else’s oil?

Challenge: Dive in, dig deep for yourself. Picture yourself fully humbled, face in the dirt, before the Throne of God. Now you are in the presence of God upon His Holy Throne where he is constantly praised by ones saying, “Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord GOD ALMIGHTY…” (REVELATION 4:1-11 – read this). Now, in the midst of God and his constant heavenly praise, it’s your turn. WORSHIP HIM – in fear- with all of who you are. GIVE HIM GLORY. (Rev 14:6-7) Then, receive from Him (Rev 22: 1-5 and Ezek 47), for from His throne flows a river of living water, “Wherever the river goes…so everything will live…and on the banks…there will grow all kinds of trees for food. Their leaves will not whither nor their fruit fail…because the water for them flows from the sanctuary”.

Sow FREQUENTLY into your personal relationship with Jesus and receive the much needed (and desired) oil and living river water (which is Holy Spirit). Be ready.

with love,
Ems 

More wildflowers from the Wind River Range in western Wyoming. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment